Thursday, August 2, 2012

Soooo Goood !!!

Thank you Jimmy

Mumford and Sons show last night on Pier A in Hoboken is the best show I've ever seen. I snapped up two tickets literally the minute they went on sale about mid June. It pays to get their newsletter. Arriving early in the drizzle with my friend Jimmy, we stayed positive that the sky would clear up and the show would go on. Jimmy treated me to an awesome tee (great fit and design with a wolf) and Brooklyn Summer Lagers. Yum! I handed my camera to the nearest iPhone user to snap some pics for us. I composed this shot. It's a keeper.


Mum and Sons sang from the heart. The songs bring you to tears while your jumping up and down singing at the top of your lungs waving your arms around. It wasn't just me. I looked around. We had Manhattan for a back drop and as the sky cleared the sun set on the city skyline glowed a rosy pink. What and experience, the whole night. Deep bows to Mumford and Sons, Jimmy for coming with me and the thousands of concert goers who welcomed this British band with Jersey love.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

After The Storm ~ Mumford and Sons


I woke up at 6:30 pretty much like I do every morning, sat for 35 minutes of meditation then headed out to the east river for run/walk (not much of a runner) mixed with strength training. My sister Jamie turned me onto WOD (work out of the day). The day we worked out together she had me doing sets of burpees, lunges, squats, planks, kettle bells, push ups, sit ups and then we ran for about 3.5 miles. I petered out on the run, she kept going. I've been mixing up that regime with a few of my own tricks like side crow, side plank bringing my straight leg towards my face and touch my toes,  sets of jumping onto a bench, then stepping up onto the bench one leg at a time lifting one leg into the chest while I do calf raises on the other leg. That's a good one!

Before returning home, I always stretch out hips and hamstrings on the back of a bench using it like a ballet bar. The routine is standing pigeon for glutes and pirformis, with leg straight out in front folding onto the leg for hamstrings, then opening out to the side for adductor stretch and then heel to rear for quads. Do both sides of course holding for at least thirty seconds per pose. 

Post work out I made a delicious smoothie full of essential minerals and vitamins.
Peach Pie:
8 oz Almond milk
1 Tbsp Chia seed
1 Frozen banana
Frozen or ripe slices of peach
2 dashes of cinnamon
2 dashes of nutmeg

Chia seed is a super food.
1 Tbsp of Chia seed provides 3 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber (sets you free :-), 60 mg potassium, Calcium, Mg, and Iron. You also get a low dose of healthy fat calories 2.5 grams of polyunsaturated fat provided by Omega-3 an essential fatty acid. It's brain food! Vital for regulating metabolism.

Almond milk provides Vitamins E, A, D
Calcium, Iron, small amount of fiber, sodium, potassium. I buy the unsweetened organic almond milk so there's less than 1 gram of sugar.

Potassium and Manganese in the chia seed are great for your muscles to help prevent cramping.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!! Water, water, water !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment